We're launching international SIM delivery

Started by: carlottasanfront
On: 28/11/2016 | 16:56
Replies: 189

by: johnstilwell
on: 28/11/2016 | 21:45

@woodyuk

"Giggaff accountants rubbing hands in glee."

More mugs getting caught by saved CC details and reoccuring Goodybags once the user has gone home.

Jaded view or what?

Message 21 of 190
by: insaneyln
on: 28/11/2016 | 23:47

@carlottasanfront, thank you for this fantastic news. Kudos to @william_li and @gsklb04.

Message 22 of 190
by: claw
on: 29/11/2016 | 02:48
Makes sense, there will be many who will make good use of it.
Message 23 of 190
by: 7whales
on: 29/11/2016 | 04:46

Sounds great and I wish I had something similar available early this year when my wife and I had to make an emergency trip to Belfast because of a death in the family. I then was able to have a friend from a frequent-flyer website send me a spare GG SIM and buy a voucher, emailing me the pin code numbers from the voucher so I could sign up quickly for GG online before leaving on our trans Atlantic flights. I sent payment to him by Paypal for the voucher and to cover his mailing costs. That way because of the very short notice before we had to travel, I had my SIM ready to go from the moment we landed. I wouldn't have been able to do that so quickly then, since I'd first have to establish a GG account to find someone at that time who was willing to very quickly be willing to mail a GG SIM and voucher to me, as I had first looked on the GG website, and it wasn't so easy to find someone then.

While this new announcement for overseas mailing of GG SIM's is great, I'm wondering if someone could then pay for purchasing the original topup credits by Paypal instead of using a CC at the beginning, and would that stop the automatic recurring of the Goodybags, thus giving the person an option on the Goodybags, instead of the automatic recurring being the only way to go, even though it may be set into the SIM when registering it. That would then save some of the hassles of all of a sudden being billed again for a recurring Goodybag that they hadn't expected, being newbies or not clear on the meaning because of language difficulties. Also, doesn't GG now have to change their registration page in order to accept foreign addresses?

In my case, I'm still a GG'er many months later, having used a Goodybag for our trip early this year after topping up, but not recurring it, although I'm still keeping an active balance in my GG account by making an infrequent call to keep the SIM and account active as required, since my wife and I are planning another trip to the U.K. sometime next year, and at that time I will be buying another Goodybag with some account credit still left over.

OT, but another thought. Since this new offer of free GG SIM's is only for new members, it doesn't help someone who may have a problem with a previously gotten and used GG SIM and is now trying to do a SIM Switch with a newer GG SIM. GG itself will not mail out replacement SIM's to anyone outside of the U.K., although some members will do so, at some cost to them, and no hope of getting their bonus for doing so since it is to be used as a replacement sim by those who receive it. Some members still offer to mail out the sims for free, others ask for the mailing costs, which is understandable, as those can sometime be excessive. It would be very helpful though, if GG would also enable a replacement GG SIM to go to current members residing overseas who need to use them in a SIM Switch to replace a damaged or otherwise unuseable SIM. No bonus need be on that mailed SIM, and if the current GG member still had an active account balance, the SIM Switch could also be easily accomplished without any hassles or loss of time using their phone, or GG account when abroad. 

Thank You, Muchas Gracias, O hio (I think the latter means thank you in Japanese, but not sure.)

7whales.

Message 24 of 190
by: harrrrrry
on: 29/11/2016 | 08:47

@7whales

I'm wondering if someone could then pay for purchasing the original topup credits by Paypal instead of using a CC at the beginning

If you mean using paypal for the initial activation payment, then that is coming ... sometime Smiley Surprised

Activation by paypal seems to be a bit of a technical challenge, though I'm not sure why that should be. Activating the sim  and paying for a goodybag and/or airtime credit ought to be two separate steps with all payment methods being uniformally available for all purchases.

But are you actually asking for the ability to prepay for a single preloaded goodybag and/or some credit at the time of requesting your sim? I was going to suggest that anyway -- it seems like the logical progression from international delivery and if done properly, would ensure that your sim is available for use from the moment its owner reaches the UK.

giving the person an option on the Goodybags, instead of the automatic recurring being the only way to go,

I think probably more than 90% of the userbase agrees that recurring should be off by default but giffgaff trots out unsubstantiated reports claiming users think it works better that way. They obviously don't read the forums, which are littered with complaints that goodybags recurred unexpectedly but there's probably little if posts from people who were dissatisfied that their goodybag did not unexpectedly recur.

But there's probably no point asking giffgaff. The people who make the decisions probably don't read the forums on a regular basis and prefer to gather "opinions" behind closed doors, so that they can ignore them if they don't match what they were intending to do.

More useful would be to lobby the government to bring in legislation against "business practices which involve an element of deception, however slight". That would rule out pre-ticked opt-in boxes, negative options (boxes that have to be ticked to opt out), being opted in to something unasked, hiding essential information in small print, using a title for a goodybag that is intended to cause people to think it has unlimited data when it hasn't ... and would a lot of dishonest things beyond giffgaff. such as premium text services needing explicit individual approval and "free" trials needing to be reconfirmed before proceding to a chargeable service.

Since this new offer of free GG SIM's is only for new members, it doesn't help someone who may have a problem with a previously gotten and used GG SIM and is now trying to do a SIM Switch with a newer GG SIM.

That might not be a problem, except possibly in the case of a sim that has been reported stolen. For any other sim, you can just order one as if you were a new member. You don't need to have a special sim for a sim swap -- but you do need to follow the sim swap procedure when you activate the sim, but perversely you wouldn't be able to do this if giffgaff gave you the option and you chose to prepay to have it active on arrival in the UK.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 25 of 190
by: cps15966
on: 29/11/2016 | 09:57

Good to see @carlottasanfront 

Whilst on the subject and related, maybe it's time to also consider my idea for page and message translation which I submitted to the Labs back at the start of April this year.

Idea here if anyone wants a read or wants to vote

It makes sense that you have the ability to offer this for people but also that you can offer a translation in messages to enable people to help them when they come across a problem or have a question.

It really needs to be something that is considered quickly if you are rolling this out now.

cps15966 - The creator of the idea for @ mentions you have all come to use and love Smiley Tongue
Message 26 of 190
on: 29/11/2016 | 10:11

@harrrrrry Thanks for taking the time to answer my very short comments with your lengthy response for clarification and understanding, which has indeed been very helpful.

To further answer your clarifications with my clarifications of my originating comments:

I had thought that Paypal was already useable for payments to an account, even for setting up and paying for an activation of a new account on GG. If not, as you've indicated, would it be so difficult for GG to set it up to do so? Can't see the problem, but I'm not a techie, so it may be something beyond my basic basics of understanding how Paypal works. No, I'm NOT asking about paying for a pre-loaded SIM by Paypal, merely thought that after getting a new GG SIM sent overseas, someone could activate the SIM using Paypal to buy airtime credit initially, and then when the credit is in their new account after registering with GG, using all or part of that credit to then purchase a Goodybag or Gigabag and finally choose at their discretion whether or not to have it recur. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but that's how my mind thinks, a simple and easy way to do things if possible. That would alieviate the problem of having an automatically recurring Goodybag from the new mailed SIM (and it wouldn't have to be mailed out with an automatically recurring Goodybag already set into the new SIM) and leave it up to the newbie's choice after activation of their account.

Re: Ordering a new SIM in order to do a SIM Switch. GG doesn't now send out replacement SIMs to current members needing one to use for a SIM Switch for a defective or then unuseable SIM who are foreign members of GG, since they don't send SIM's outside of the U.K., except now with this new offer, in the hope of getting some new additional members. My thought on this is, if GG can now send SIM's overseas to new members, why not also make replacement SIM's with NO conditons attached, such as needing the activation first for the newbies, to any current members in a foreign country who would need ONLY to do a SIM Switch and already has credits in his GG account, so no new activation of the SIM or bonus for activating it, just using it as a replacement GG SIM in their SIM Switch. Currently finding a GG member willing to send a GG SIM outside of the U.K. for someone to use for a SIM Switch means that that member wouldn't get any bonus recognition for doing so, and in some cases would be out the cost of overseas postage. But it would be so much easier for someone living outside the U.K. to get a replacement GG SIM solely for use to replace their now defective GG SIM without having to search for a member who would agree to do so and thereby lose their bonus by mailing it as a replacement SIM.

I've been under the perhaps misunderstood impression that there was some law in the U.K. and other countries that new SIM's could not be shipped outside of that country. Has that now changed in the U.K.?

Thanks again for answering my comments so quickly and helpfully,

7whales.

Message 27 of 190
by: harrrrrry
on: 29/11/2016 | 11:14

@7whales

I've been under the perhaps misunderstood impression that there was some law in the U.K. and other countries that new SIM's could not be shipped outside of that country. Has that now changed in the U.K.?

As far as I'm aware, that was only ever a giffgaff policy. It would not be possible to have a law prohibiting supplying sims to any EU country, as such a law would violate single market rules. Possibly there are specific countries where the countries themselves prohibit sims from being imported from UK, or restrict their use while in that country, but I cannot think of any logical reason why the UK itself would want to disallow exports.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 28 of 190
on: 29/11/2016 | 11:37

@harrrrrry Here in Canada, and I think in the U.S., no cellphone company will mail their new SIM's outside of their borders. We either have to go to their stores in a mall or similar, or buy one online from the mobile's website, but most won't ship out of country, and won't accept an out of country CC.

When I needed a new U.K. SIM for our emergency trip to the U.K. this year, I called several U.K. cellphone companies to see if they would send me a SIM for me to set up prior to the trip. All replied that they couldn't or wouldn't do so, and I thought that was because of some U.K. law preventing them from doing so, although no reason was given at the time.

7whales.

Message 29 of 190
by: jenne_lee
on: 29/11/2016 | 12:06
This is awesome! I wish I can now order more sim for my friends and family in overseas through international SIM delivery so I have no more worries to lost contact with them when they are in the airport!
Message 30 of 190