giffgaff vs o2 data speed warning - Frustrated new customer

Started by: silverlight001
On: 02/05/2016 | 18:48
Replies: 17

by: silverlight001
on: 02/05/2016 | 18:48

Hi Folks,

Welcome your help.

Been using O2 monthly contract for years and have always had excellent, high speed 4G signal at home.

Transferred to GiffGaff on Friday and signal is now G or E (the slowest speeds).

My Father who has O2 came to visit and his phone was 4G all the time he was here.

My wifes phone was also transferred to Giffgaff and that has the same slowest data signal.

The data signal is poor even early morning and late night when there would clearly be no network congestion.

I only transferred to Giffgaff because the O2 network has excellent strength and speed where we live and only now have a I realised that GiffGaff is clearly not the same as O2 and that the data speeds are throttled and cut back making the GiffGaff 4G data service unfit for purpose.

This is absolute pants and I'm really, really annoyed - I've subsequently found out that O2 throttle GiffGaff signal and that GG have a very limited bandwidth hence the reason why my excellent data signal is now no longer fit for purpose.

There are other similair threads so this is not just a one-off experiece that we are having.

GiffGaff should highlight the data throttling and constraints to all new customers and looks like the only recourse is a complaint to OFCOM about being misled.

Welcome any comments / feedback please from the forum.

Message 1 of 18
by: miaoxian1
on: 02/05/2016 | 18:49
Hi this is due to congestion on the network for giffgaff
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 18
by: stevieco
on: 02/05/2016 | 18:50
Giffgaff are aware their internet speeds are great
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 18
by: seanmercer
on: 02/05/2016 | 18:56
Hi, I agree with what you say. giffgaff data is pants and not a patch on o2.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 18
by: pwei94
on: 02/05/2016 | 18:57
Whilst the speeds on giffgaff are not great you should actually have the same level of signal. Perhaps perform a sim swap, could be a dodgy sim
Message 5 of 18
by: stance_daily
on: 02/05/2016 | 18:58
I'm thinking of leaving giffgaff
Message 6 of 18
by: ukchattyman
on: 02/05/2016 | 19:01
contracts on all networks are faster than pay as you go based networks. o2 contract customers get higher priority than pay as you go and all it's piggy back networks.....
Message 7 of 18
by: terencedaly
on: 02/05/2016 | 19:03

Hi @silverlight001

Your 100% correct giffgaff is poo for data

Its not congestion

It does not help by turning phone off and back on

It makes no difference if you do manual roam.

The truth is like you are aware giffgaff runs on the O2 network.

So if you was selling usage of your network would you put giffgaff customers first or your own O2 customers.

giffgaff is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator thats the problem

Giffgaff is a mobile telephone network running as a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) using the United Kingdom O2 network. Owned by O2's owners Telefónica

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 18
by: germansheppard234
on: 02/05/2016 | 19:38
Giffgaff does not have enough band width, it just piggy backs off O2 hence slow speed, seems any company that piggyback of large network gets slower speed, in giffgaff case it's cheaper u get what u pay for, my case only browes web so suits me fine,
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 18
by: silverlight001
on: 02/05/2016 | 21:01

Thanks everyone 

In my view giffgaffs 4g offering is highly  misleading and likely breaching advertising  standards 

4g on the other network  where I live works  fine and is  available 

I have purchased a 4g package from  giffgaff but I am prevented from using something I have purchased despite it being technically  feasible. 

This is unfairly  treating and restricting customers since the sales material does not state  

"Giffgaff  is a 3rd rate  network  and we artificially  limit a product you have paid for "

I plan to write to ofcom about this 

Message 10 of 18